Research visits in Sweden up to 12 months
- Next application period: October to December (preliminary) 2018 for the academic year 2019/2020.
- About 45 scholarships will be offered.
Included in the scholarship
- SEK 15,000 montly grant for living expenses for PhD students
- SEK 18,000 montly grant for living expenses for postdocs and senior researchers
- Membership in the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL)
Apply if you match one of the following criterias
The scholarship provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers of all ages with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities. PhD students, postdoctoral researchers and senior scientists within all academic disciplines may apply. The stay in Sweden should match one of the following criterias:
- PhD studies – PhD students/candidates applying for one long-term visit; 6, 9 or 12 months
- Postdoctoral research – postdoctoral research long-term visit, 6, 9 or 12 months. Holders of a PhD degree, preferably from 2013 or later.
- Senior research – holders of a PhD degree who do not fit into the category of postdoctoral researchers, above, invited to Sweden for research, 6 months maximum.
- Sandwich model – PhD students, postdocs and senior researchers applying for a scholarship over several shorter visits; maximum three research visits per year, over three years. Each visit must be a minimum of 1 month. The total number equals the months you may apply for stated above, and must be carried out before the end of 2021.
Available scholarship periods
|Application period/ You can apply||PhD students||Postdoctoral researchers||Senior researchers|
|1 September 2019–28 February 2020 (6 months)||yes||yes||yes|
|1 January 2020–30 June 2020 (6 months)||yes||yes||yes|
|1 September 2019–31 May 2020 (9 months)||yes||yes||no|
|1 January 2020–30 September 2020 (9 months)||yes||yes||no|
|1 September 2019–31 August 2020 (12 months)||yes||yes||no|
|1 January 2020–31 December 2020 (12 months)||yes||yes||no|
Sandwich model – minimum 6 months. The letter of invitation must state preliminary dates for each of the visits. When you apply in the online application form, please state the dates for the first visit, under the section ’Scholarship duration‘.
You cannot be granted a scholarship if you
- have already lived in Sweden for two or more years when the scholarship period begins
- already have a Swedish permanent residence permit
- have a Swedish work permit and are currently employed in Sweden
- apply for a scholarship at the PhD level but are not enrolled in ongoing PhD studies outside of Sweden
- apply for a scholarship at postdoctoral level, but do not hold a PhD degree
- have already been awarded three or more scholarships/grants from SI.