What can be included in the activity budget:
- Venue with suitable equipment for your activity
- Catering – food and drinks
- Payment for external speakers
- Travel costs for alumni outside of bigger cities
- Workshop material such as post it, pens etc
- Communication (printing/designing of posters, banners, SoMe ads, web, digital banners and similar) can constitute no more than 20% of the budget.
- Online activity: grant is reserved mainly for speaker fees.
- If there is a transaction fee from your bank to receive the grant you can add this to your budget and it does not have to be within the limits of the grant
What cannot be included in the activity budget:
- Honorarium/salaries for alumni organisers and volunteers
- Alcoholic beverages
- Goodie bags for participants at events – exceeding 100 SEK/bag
- Outsourcing of management of activity to external consultants
- One-time items such as t-shirts that are branded with a specific event logo or similar (environmental perspective)
- Prizes for winners in contests over 250 SEK and never any cash as prize (tax regulation in Sweden)
- Fees intended to support an individual alumni’s company, NGO, non-profit, university etc.
Communication and visibility
In order to reach out with your activity Swedish Institute can in some instances help you connect to the networks and alumni in your country. The intention is to first and foremost support new networks with limited access to alumni contacts
SI also encourages networks to co-organise activities together with Swedish Embassies and consulates to increase reach out and impact of your activity. The support from Embassies may depend on their resources and availability at a given time. Contact email@example.com if you need support in establishing contact with your local Embassy or Consulate.
Code of conduct and Guidelines for Communication
As organisers of an alumni acitvities, physical or online, you are expected to ensure that all members and activities adher to the SI Code of Conduct and SI Code of Conduct for Social Media. Organisers must make sure to follow SI Guidelines for communication.
Alumni Activity Calendar
To ensure visibility make sure to publish your granted alumni activity in the SI online event calendar submit your activity to the Alumni Activity Calendar before the activity takes place. The calendar gathers all alumni activities arranged by SI or Sweden alumni networks, the Swedish Foreign Missions or the Swedish Universities.
Sweden Alumni Network Resource Hub
The Resource Hub is a website developed for board members of certified alumni networks where you can find all information resources you need for managing an alumni network such as activity guidelines, reporting instructions, manuals, and digital tools. All board members of certified networks are invited by email to the Resource Hub after the certification process has been finalised. To get access you need to connect your email address to a Microsoft account. This is done just once. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us by email if you have trouble accessing the Resource Hub.
You are the cornerstones in SI’s alumni work! What you report is what we report back to the Swedish Government and what we communicate to stakeholders. Without you we wouldn’t have any activities. Your reporting matters!
The financial resources funding alumni activities come from Sweden’s foreign aid budget. Thus, it is tax money and the exact use and reporting of these grants is therefore crucial.
If you received funding from SI, you need to report back two week after each alumni activity has taken place. You cannot apply for a new grant before the report of a previous grant has been submitted to and approved by SI.
Reporting includes following components:
- Achievements of activity goals
- Participant list List of Participants Template 2022
- Final programme of the event (as sent out to members and other participants)
- 3- 5 pictures verifying the event
- Budget and final expenses of the event, including copies of receiptsFinancial reporting Template 2022
- Current balance
- Link to any video clips of the event
- Links/copies of any media coverage and/or social media posts
- Feedback and comments