The campaign will run from 1st/September to 20th/September where we will aim to use no single-use plastics. The closing Event will be held at the Embassy premises on Lumumba Avenue. The event will cover the Campaign and a Plogging session. Nevertheless, there will also be a desk with Swedish Information, Study in Sweden among other information to be shared with the public.
As a result of the current state of nature in Uganda especially with waste management, the organisers have chosen the embassy as the venue for the event. The purpose for selection of the embassy premises is because the embassy is centrally located in the city centre and is very accessible by everyone. We hope to attract the general public and the universities around the city. The attendance will be by invite and the Event will be live streamed for the general public. There is a lot of plastic waste dumped around Wandegeya town, known as the makerere student town. This is chosen because the students there and the population contribute a lot to the plastics pollution problem while selling and packaging their products without any recycling and re-using knowledge.
The plan is to have a Plooging session in the morning and a panel discussion and discuss various topics including;
1. Plastic Waste Management in Kampala City (KCCA)
2. Recycling the Swedish Way (Embassy)
3. Plogging (Alumni)
4. Plastic pollution and Agriculture (School of Agriculture- Makerere University)
5. Green School Campaign (The winner of the Challenge)
6. Plastics and Climate Change (NARO)
7. Turning Waste into Gold (Inspirational Speaker)
8. Bottle Recycling & Re-Use (Cocacola Co.)