Open for applications until 12 March
Join our information webinars to learn more about SI Global Executive Programme.
We have two information webinars scheduled, one on 27 February 16:00 (GMT+1) and the second on 29 February 08:00 (GMT+1). Register for the information webinar here.
In an increasingly fast-paced and interconnected world, there is a pressing need for progressive business leaders who can drive change that’s beneficial for their companies while helping solve societal challenges. Advancing sustainability and improving the quality of people’s lives has long propelled innovation in Sweden. Swedish executives, researcher and policymakers have a long history of collaborating together to cultivate transformative ideas for a more sustainable society.
The SI Global Executive Programme was created to nurture forward-thinking business executives seeking to shape a future that is not only economically resilient but socially and ecologically sustainable. It stands as a testament to Sweden’s excellence in pioneering sustainable solutions and serves as a conduit for sharing the country’s rich legacy of sustainable business practices with the rest of the world.
The SI Global Executive Programme is designed for senior executives, including CEOs and top corporate managers. The programme is tailored to help integrate sustainability into the very fabric of a business, elevating it from mere initiative to core strategic imperative. Participants are offered invaluable insights from a key forefront in the global sustainability movement.
One of the programme’s unique strengths lies in its global reach, bringing together 100 leaders from 22 countries to create a melting pot of perspectives, experience and opportunities.
The SI Global Executive Programme is scheduled to take place from May to November 2024, featuring online sessions throughout its entire duration. Additionally, there will be a one-week onsite module in Sweden. The programme includes interactive workshops, lectures and coaching, as well as meetings with representatives from various companies and organisations in Sweden. More than a series of one-way lectures, the programme is a challenging and interactive experience that requires participants to actively engage and contribute.
Designed with an understanding of the time constraints faced by top-level executives, the programme is intended to seamlessly integrate into participants’ existing responsibilities, providing practical solutions that can be readily applied within your organisation.
The SI Global Executive Programme will give you the following:
- Advanced understanding of social, ecological and economic sustainability within planetary boundaries – from a business perspective
- Increased expertise in utilising and implementing methods for strategic business development within sustainability and the green transition – from a systemic perspective
- Strengthened capabilities and skills to lead change and effectively manage complexity
- Unique insights from a variety of business cases for sustainability in Sweden, which is recognised as one of the leading countries in sustainable business practices
- Coaching by experts in the field that support your own personal development and the development of your business
- A unique opportunity for close collaboration and exchange with colleagues at senior levels, fostering a strong and enduring global professional network
- Opportunity to meet and connect with Swedish businesses and organisations
- Access to the global Swedish Institute Alumni Network, which includes over 19,000 leaders dedicated to leadership and sustainability
Am I eligible to apply?
Applicants to the SI Global Executive Programme must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen and resident of one of our programme countries: Bangladesh, Brazil. China, Colombia, Egypt, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Morocco, Nigeria, Philippines, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Thailand, Türkiye, Ukraine*, or Vietnam.
*Ukrainian applicants who reside outside of Ukraine are also eligible to apply.
- Have a leadership position, such as CEO or senior executive, in a medium to large company with a mandate to spearhead strategic changes throughout their business.
- Be at least 30 years old (born 1994 at the latest).
- Have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English.
- Have a completed post-secondary education (the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree or greater).
- Be willing to actively participate, provide support and share their experience and knowledge with other participants.
- Have identified business needs or problems that could be worked on during the programme to help their company improve its contribution to a more sustainable world.
An applicant’s company must also meet the following requirements:
- Be locally owned and based in one of the programme countries.
- Operate within industries associated with the green transition or about to make important commitments related to the green transition (e. g., industries within renewable energy, green buildings, clean transportation, water management, waste management and land management).
- Be committed to running a business in a sustainable manner and implementing sustainable practices within the organisation.
Programme structure and format
The SI Global Executive Programme consists of interactive workshops, lectures, coaching, and meetings with representatives from various companies and organisations in Sweden. It’s designed to be a challenging and interactive experience that requires participants to actively engage and contribute.
A key objective of the programme is for each participant to create and begin executing a strategic business project that’s also seamlessly integrated into their organisation’s overarching business strategy. Each participant’s project will be tailored to address the specific needs of their organisation and its stakeholders.
The SI Global Executive Programme for 2024 is scheduled to run from May through November 2024. During intense programme modules, participants should be prepared to spend around three to four hours per week on activities such as viewing pre-recorded lessons and carrying out assignments, as well as participating in coaching sessions and/or small group collaborations. A finalised schedule and timelines will be provided at the start of the programme.
The SI Global Executive Programme has five main components:
Foundation (May – June)
Foundation sessions are conducted online in both large and small group formats (organised by region and randomly mixed) and include coaching and exploring the latest developments within the field of sustainability in business and the green transition. These sessions aim to equip participants with the tools and support to further enhance their change leadership skills and begin working on their strategic business project.
Strategic business project (June – October)
Each participant is asked to identify a challenge or opportunity relevant to their role or based on their organisation’s overall business needs and current approaches to sustainability. Participants receive support in applying newfound knowledge, ideas and inspiration gained through the programme. The goal of the strategic business project is to develop real and measurable results that help participants learn by doing while launching or managing change initiatives that can continue after the programme ends. Participants are coached to challenge themselves in choosing a project that, at minimum, delivers an ROI for their participation in the programme.
Masterclasses, online (August – October)
A variety of tailored high-quality masterclasses are provided to enhance participants’ knowledge and skills in relation to their areas of interest and specific needs while they work on their strategic business project. Participation in Masterclasses is exclusive to participants who successfully complete the programme’s previous components.
Sweden week, onsite (14 – 18 October, excluding travel days)
Gathering together 100 programme participants in Sweden, this interactive and immersive onsite experience offers a unique opportunity to network with peers in a global setting and engage with Swedish business leaders and experts. It features field visits, workshops and chances to explore Swedish culture and local nature. This experience aims to strengthen participants’ change leadership skills and help them refine their strategic business project. Participation in Sweden week is exclusive to participants who have successfully completed the programme’s previous components.
Way forward, online & regionally onsite (November)
In the SI Global Executive Programme’s final component, participants put their strategic business projects into action. They share their expertise and skills with colleagues and stakeholders, celebrate early wins and establish strong relationships within a global network of sustainability leaders and through the Swedish embassy in their home country.
Programme timeline 2024
- Mid-February – mid-March: Open call for applications
- Early May – mid-June: Initial online sessions
- Late August – mid-October: Midpoint online sessions
- October: Onsite experience in Sweden (14 – 18 October excluding travel days)
- November: Final online sessions
Participation in SI Global Executive Programme is free of charge. The Swedish institute arranges and covers costs related to:
- Learning programme
- Flights to and from Sweden for the Sweden week onsite visit
- Accommodation, meals, transportation and insurance while in Sweden